Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pinterest Project:Where I'm From

Pinterest can be a dangerous place during a deployment, heck it's a dangerous place in general. I had a million different projects planned in my head to do while Matthew was gone. However, that was not the reality of the situation. I only managed to have a few projects done that I deem Pinterest worthy. One project that I absolutely love is a project that I made with a few picture frames, some paint and the print out of three states. I saw a few ideas on pinterest that looked a little like this..



I loved the concept of making fun things out of states that are important to us. I decided on an outline of the state of Indiana with a heart in the city where I'm from. I made an outline of the state of Louisiana with a heart in the city where Matthew grew up. And then finally, an outline of the state of Georgia with a heart in the city where we got married. I absolutely love this concept. For military families, you can make one for every state you have been stationed in. There are so many ways to spin the concept.

The Finished Product

please excuse the terrible quality of the photo. Matthew is the photographer of this family, not me. 


This isn't the exact version of the project that I originally wanted, but I am beyond thrilled with the end product. I can't wait to possibly add more states, or find some way to add to the original project. I may add the state of North Carolina, where we live currently. Or, when we have children, make one for where our children were born. I eventually want to add the names and states underneath so everyone knows exactly what each heart stands for. There are so many possibilities! It wasn't a giant project, but it does add a little something to the house. The following pictures are just the initial process, but I hope you can take from them! 

 First, I printed out a picture of the state I wanted to use in the project
 Then, I used an xacto knife and cut along side the outline
Instead of tracing around the state I removed from the paper, I used the paper itself as a templet. I took think card stalk and painted in the lines of the templet. Simple enough right? I forgot take photos of the next few steps but...
Hartford City, Indiana 

Kingsland, Georgia 
Marksville, Louisiana 


Basically, I located the county of where the important place was and painted a heart on it. Then, I picked up dollar pictures frames for The Dollar Tree and popped those bad boys in. I put them on the wall coming into our home because I thought it just looked best there next to our key holder and the "God Bless Our Home" sign. Plus, it can be a nice conversation starter if you have guest to your home whom you've never entertained before. I hope I've inspired some of  you to make something fun for your own homes, it truly adds a little something special! Until next time! 


Proverbs 24:3-4
By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious pleasant riches.


3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea. I've been thinking about doing this. Especially now that boyfriend and I are both from different states AND both live in other countries than America. I think it would be really great to remember our home like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash,
    Thank you so much! I couldn't have done it without the inspiration pieces I found, but you can do so many takes of it! Please let me know if you complete a project similar, I would love to see your take on it! :)

    ReplyDelete