Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Deployment Adventures: Girls weekend


This deployment has taught me a few things, one of which is that it is important to be busy busy busy busy! And, that it is important to have an amazing group of friends to lean on. Last weekend was an especially fun week. For a few days, a couple of my girlfriends and I just enjoyed the weekend and didn't linger on the fact that our husbands still aren't home. But, it all started on Thursday....

The fair was in town! A little bit of information about me, if there is any type of fair or carnival going on...I revert back to a six year old girl. I get so excited, it's borderline ridiculous. I conned a few of my friends to come, and it is seriously a night I will never forget!
This was the first photo of the night, before it got dark. 


Now, a little piece of information about the North. We love these things called Elephant Ears. Basically, they are a piece of fried dough deliciousness with cinnamon sugar.  yeah yeah, I know they are called fried dough in the south, but there is just something about eating a real Elephant Ear. I haven't seen any Elephant Ears since moving in the south at any of the fairs I've attended. So, you can imagine my excitement when I saw this...
I was crazy excited when I saw that they indeed had real Elephant Ears at this fair. Jumping up and down, taking a picture for instagram, messaging my family..excited. I love fair food. Please, no lectures about how gross it is, and bad it is for you. I am well aware that it is possibly the worst thing for me to eat, but I am such a sucker for corn dogs. Well, and deep fried Oreos..and ribbon potatoe thingies..and lemon shake ups. Basically, I can only go to one....maybe two fairs a year. okay okay...three fairs a year. I ended up with a corn dog. Marina and Tricia rocked out these amazing chili cheese bacon fries. Yes, chili..cheese..and bacon, together. After we ate some awesome food..we decided to try some rides. It turned out to be a little bit like this..

The first one went so well! Tricia hates rides. Again, don't lecture me about how dangerous they are. YOLO right? haha just kidding, but seriously. They are so fun. So we were standing in line for the Tilt A Whirl...

See how happy and awesome we looked!? I like to say that the end of our ride was similar, but it looked more liked this..
It was so Awful. I swear the guy running the machine was out to get us. I am a huge fan of the Tilt A Whirl. Now, I am reconsidering it. The first few minutes were great, then the last thirty seconds made me really think the machine was broken. I couldn't even breath we were going so fast! Talk about scary! We managed to get Tricia on one more ride before calling it a night at the fair, and then we went to get some frozen custard. 


Marina introduced me and Tricia to Rita's that night. All I can say is that it was down right amazing!

 Now, onto Friday.  Early into this deployment I saw a preview for this movie called Pitch Perfect. I've been patiently waiting for this movie to come out, and last Friday...it did! So we all went to see the movie, along with our friend Lauren. It was possibly the funniest movie I've watched this deployment. 
I may or may not have bought the soundtrack, I loved it that much. Then, we decided to hit up Cheddar's. Another "love" of this weekend. Amazing food, plus it's crazy affordable.
Can you tell which drink is mine? I will give you a guess, I didn't get a cool garnish :(

Saturday we all headed over to Morehead City for their annual seafood festival.
 We finally got a group photo of all of us.

 Tricia won a fish! He is officially our deployment mascot. His name is Papacito.
'Merica
 
Besides my trip to Washington D.C, this was possibly my favorite weekend. I has such a great time with my girls. I had my first run in with the Westboro Baptist cult church, more on that another time. Besides that little moment, it was the perfect weekend. We laughed, cried, and just had a blast. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a fun time! When I was younger, my dad was in the Navy so I lived in Virginia Beach so I loooove festivals and things like that. I'm jealous! I hope eventually Robby and I can move back to the East coast because I just love the scene there! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete