Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ladies Night

When someone hears the words "ladies night", they tend to think of a bunch of women drinking or doing something of the sort and having a blast. Last night, I encountered a little different version of ladies night. My friend Lauren and I went to ladies night at Shooter's Choice. It was possibly the best decision I've made in the last week.

I've never really shot anything stronger than a pellet gun we had growing up. But Matthew has a few guns, one being in the night stand, so I really felt like it was important to learn how to shoot one properly. Preferably, I wanted to learn before he got home from deployment. Anyone who is married knows that it's sometimes easier to learn something from someone else rather than a spouse. If learning how to shoot a gun goes anything like learning a little self defense...I may or may not have ended up accidentally shooting him. So, I decided to leave it up to the professionals.

We got to the store, signed up and paid for our session. For only $20 we got; a gun safety course, a rental lane, a rental gun and unlimited ammo. That is a steal. They also had a woman teaching the class, which I was so grateful for. I tend to get a little intimidated around men with guns. Now, I can proudly say I can hold my own around handguns. I understood what the instructor was saying the entire time through the safety course. She explained to us that even with hand guns, you hold them in different ways. Plus, loading the gun is different in different types. It was overwhelming at first, but I eventually got the hang of it. Then we headed to the range....

Disclaimer: Please excuse the ridiculously unflattering photos of me.


                           











First, we needed to make sure we had our eye and ears protected. Let me tell you, it gets loud and you will get hit with shell casings. I have a lovely little mark on my collar bone that resembles a hickey because the hot casing left a blister. Talk about awkward.

After making sure we loaded the clip properly and managed to get it into the gun without issues, they let us lose. The first shot was really scary for me. I was expecting to feel a really bad kick from the gun, but the recoil was actually pretty low. After the first clip, we felt practically like pros already. 


Here we are loading the clips













 Our first times shooting! 

We did it! 
By the end of the night, we were both able to hit a few "bulls eye" shots. Here are mine! 
 Here is my first "red" shot. 
 The end of the night, final results! 
Matthew is going to be so proud! 


Overall it was an amazing experience and I recommend it to any woman who wants to learn to feel comfortable with guns. Honestly, I was never "pro" guns. I'm more so "talk it out" type of person. However, I've come to realize that the world is not a safe place. And, I'm not the same 17 year old girl that I used to be. Plus, how awesome is detective benson from SVU is when she shows how awesome she can handle a gun. If I ever want to be a member of the BAU, I'll have to learn how to carry a weapon. Okay maybe not the BAU, but in the event of a break in I am confident I will be able to do some damage. I used to say that I don't believe in guns. But, they are very real. If you don't want to personally own a gun, that's alright. But I realized yesterday how important it was for me to take a class. Lord forbid you would come in contact with a gun. Do you know how to see if it is loaded? Or what the "safe" position. Or, even how to handle it in order to take to to a safe area? I learned how to do all of that and more in just an evening class. I can't wait for Matthew to get home so that I have some mad skills! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment