Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Our Story

Let’s just start off saying; I never pictured myself as one to marry young. I wanted to major in social work, minor peace studies and join the Peace Corps. But when God leads you to the one you’re meant to be with…you just know!

It all started when I was seventeen. It was October of 2009 and I had just gone through the classic messy high school relationship break up. He wanted something serious, and I realized I didn’t. It was tough. During that time I was a victim of cyber bullying and it was just an all around bad situation. Looking back on it now, it was probably the best choice I made in my entire life because it led me to Matthew. 

In high school I was never one to have a lot of friends, so my best friend was in the form of my big sister. Coni was then living in Florida because her husband, who is a marine, was stationed near the Florida/Georgia line. She knew how much I was struggling to deal with my bully situation and decided I needed a mini vacation to come see her. The only problem was that I was a senior in high school, working at a local small town restaurant and didn’t have a lot of cash. What was her solution exactly? She found me a date to the Marine Corps Birthday Ball that took place the following month. I would only have to pay for half of my airline ticket, which was great!

Right away I added Matthew on facebook and we started messaging back and forth. The messaging turned to texting and a few weeks later the texting turned to phone calls. Every day for a month I got to know this guy who I thought would just be my date for this ball so I could have getaway. It was actually really nice. I mean I was excited because I did find him attractive, but I really got to know him as a person. We talked about everything from future goals, favorite foods, to our music preferences and values.

Eventually November came and it was time for the ball. He came to the airport along with my sister and brother in law to pick me up. It was great because first off I knew him as a friend first, so it wasn’t awkward at all! I flew in about two days before the ball so we had time to really get to know each other. The ball was a great time and I knew when I was sitting in the Jacksonville airport waiting for my flight back home that it was something really special.


Marine Corps Birthday Ball 2009 

After months of me coming to see him, him coming to see me, and me living with my sister that summer I moved down to Florida to be closer to him. I have an amazing aunt and uncle who were gracious enough to allow me to stay with them for a few months. I took courses online while working at the local cracker barrel but made it work because I knew I wanted him in my life.


September 2010

It was a good thing too because Matthew proposed on October 13th!

Our engagement pictures where taken by ty swartz photography

We married on February 19, 2011. It was the best day of my life. My family from Indiana and his family from Louisiana managed to make the trip to Georgia for the wedding. What was even better was that my aunt and uncle who are both pastors were able to perform the ceremony. They let me tag along with a trip to India with them in January of 2009. Between them giving me that experience and my love and respect for them, it made my wedding day perfect.


Ty Swartz Photography also took our wedding photos 

So here we are in 2012, currently going through our first deployment and preparing for our big move to Louisiana next year to start post marine corps life. I am so blessed and thankful for what the Lord has provided for me in my life. I look forward to sharing all of our blessings and trials that we have been given.






1 comment: