Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Military Monday:Pride

Marine Corps Birthday Ball 2009


When you’re a military spouse, you hear the term “moto” a lot.
Moto in military lingo basically someone who is very motivated, typically the “boots” right out of boot camp but by your first year in that motivation goes away in most cases. I don’t know why, but it just does.  Yes, some cases are taken to the extreme but I don’t know why it’s so frowned upon.
My high school graduation June 2010

I never really considered myself being a “moto” wife. But I have always been proud of my husband and of our country. This deployment especially brought out the pride in me. There is a reason for that. No it’s not just because I am the wife of Cpl. Matthew J. Voorhies of the United States Marine Corps. And no, it’s not because I want to feel that extra happy feeling on the 4th July this year. It’s because it’s the only emotion I can feel so I wouldn’t feel anger and want to punch everyone in the face.
Marine Corps Birthday Ball 2010


When I go to sleep, alone at night, pride is the only thing I can allow myself to feel so I don’t hate other wives who have never been spent a week without their husbands.

Pride is the only thing I can let myself feel when I get to hear his voice so I can restrain myself from crying.  

Having pride is the thing that helps me drag out of bed in the morning knowing that I still have months to go before seeing my husband.

Pride is what keeps this over emotional wife sane, when I forget that he’s gone for a just a moment when I see a Marine in his cammies from behind and just for that a minute, I see him.
Marine Corps Birthday Ball 2011


Some people say “ it’s just part of the commitment you made”, but knowing that doesn’t make things any easier.  So yes, I have an “I love my marine sticker” on my car. And, of course, I appreciate when someone says thank you for the sacrifices that I, as a military wife, have made for our country. And yes, I get an amazing sense of happiness when my husband writes me a letter telling me how proud he is of me for being so strong.

Our Wedding 2011
I just have overwhelming need to just share why exactly I feel the pride I do. Some might consider military wives “over the top”, but no one knows what it’s like to be strong until it’s the only choice you have. 
Our Wedding 2011

On a happy note! I finally got to skype with Matthew. We weren't sure if we would be able to at all this deployment but I am so thankful and blessed that I was able to :) He's growing a mustache since he never was allowed to grow one at home. He affectionally calls it he MEU-stash.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things-1 Corinthians 13:7

No comments:

Post a Comment