Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Military Monday: favorite care package!



First off, I have to apologize for the hiatus. It was finals week and I also took a mini vacation to see some great friends for my birthday who are at our previous duty station in Kingsland, Georgia. I will have a few blog posts about that trip soon. But, I am back! And for this “military” Monday, it’s another care package Idea!
 Oh! and we are officially SEVEN weeks down on this deployment! Next week marks the two month mark and I can honestly say time is going pretty fast for the most part. But, back to the care package :)
            I don’t know if any of you guys have read The Hunger Games series, but Matthew and I are HUGE fans! Matthew was the first to read it, and he eventually converted me. I am really into doing themed care packages so I got the best idea to do a fun Hunger Games based care package!
It was a really fun experience throwing the care package together, and I came up with a lot of great ideas. First off, was to decorate the box.


I decided to take the most famous quote and decorate the outside of the box with it. Next, for the amazing goodies! Since there are 12 districts, I decide to put something that represented each district in the care package.

District 1 is known for luxury items. So, for his “luxury” item I splurged and bought him instant Starbucks. And boy, was it a splurge! It just blows my mind that it cost so much!!




 District 2 is known for stone/rocks. So, I bought him pop “rocks”. I know, I’m so darn clever! Haha!



District 3 is known for it’s technology, so I decided to make a mixed cd. I filled the cd with all of the songs I listen to when I’m really missing him and am having a bad day.. 









District 4 is known for fishing. So, I decided to send him some tuna. He's been on a healthy kick since we've moved to Camp Lejeune and really enjoyed tuna for lunch. I thought it would be perfect for District 4.



District 5 is known for power. However, Matthew didn't take anything that needed batteries. Just my luck right? Well a flash drive plugs into a computer right? which kind of give is power I guess. I know, I know. I'm lame! But I send him another video giving him an update of what's happening on the home front. 


 District 6 is known for transportation. This was probably the hardest district because it's not like I could send a toy car or something. So I was really lame and bought this puzzle.



District 7 is know for lumber. So I decided to take a small plaque of wood, paint it a basic color, and modge podge a picture of us onto it. It's nice because it's small that he can keep it somewhere on his rack to look at before he goes to sleep :)






 District 8 is known for textiles or cloth. This one isn't very fun, it's more so practical. I realized when he left that he didn't take any wash clothes with him so I decided to add some to this care package.


District 9 is known for grain. Matthew made the comment that he'd really like some fiber bars so how perfect did it fit for district 9!


  

District 10 is known for livestock. He loves beef jerky and "cowtails". It fits perfectly into the theme!  


District 11 is known for agriculture. Matthew happens to love pistachios and sunflower seeds!






 District 12 is known for coal. So I made "coal" crispies! Matthew loves rice crispie treats so I thought I would get creative and send some edible coal!




This card really has nothing to do with the Hunger Games. But, I saw it on pinterest and decided to make it for him :)



Next, I assembled everything. I also added some things he requested like razor's and such.


I decided to add a little something extra to the top of the box :)



And there you have it! My favorite care package so far. I hope you all enjoy it and can take some idea's from it :)












No comments:

Post a Comment