Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Day this year was particularly great. Not only did I have the pleasure of being at home, but with Matthew being deployed I really sat and prayed for every service member I have had the pleasure of knowing. Memorial Day has a particular special place in my family's hearts. We come from a family of military members. Whether it be husbands, brothers, grandfathers, or good friends; we are so proud of our military members. We are especially grateful for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country. I personally have never known a service member who lost their lives while over seas, but I respect them none the less.
The first service member I knew was my Grandpa Dave. He was in the Navy and fought in the Korean War. We weren't close growing up, because I come from parents who split up when I was two so I only saw him occasionally when I was at my dads. I do know, he always had some soda for me to drink and that's the only important thing for a kid to have!


Growing up I had distant cousins enlist in the Army and all that jazz, but I never really knew them on a close personal level. The first person I really knew during and throughout the entire enlistment is my brother-in-law.



 My brother in law Mason was the first person I knew that I could actually see the sacrifices he made every day for his country. He may not have been deployed at the time, but he gave up everything for his job. He went days, sometimes weeks, without seeing my sister. Sometimes it was days before he could even talk to her, and that was while he was still in the states. He's currently deployed in Afghanistan right now, so prayers would be greatly appreciated. He's such a great guy, husband, father, and marine! While everyone is going about their day with their families, say a prayer for families like mine. Say a prayer for my sister who goes without her husband now so yours can stay safe, and for Parker who clings to his daddy doll so your children don't have to.

Along with insight to military life my brother also introduced me to some great guys, real characters that's for sure.

Since meeting them, many of them have or are going through their first deployment. Thankfully, God is watching over each and every one of them so they are safe. This memorial day I was thankful that I another year passed and I didn't have to say a special prayer to their families because they lost their marines. I have been so blessed to say that my brother and husband haven't lost any of their friends. Along with introducing me to some friends, more importantly he introduced me to my husband.








 
 

Matthew and I are currently going through our first deployment and although it's not an in-country deployment, it's still very hard and very scary. The best piece of advice I've received as a military wife? No news...is good news. I have met so many FANTASTIC fellow wives since being married to Matthew. My sister will always be the person that gets me, but I honestly don't know what I'd do without my best friends Tricia and Becky. As cheesy at it sounds when you have something to bond over like a deployment or crazy work schedules, you really do develop life long friends! But, 
I am so thankful that Matthew is safe, and so thankful for the prayers we receive on a daily basis. They help more than anyone could possibly know. Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming!

My favorite part of this memorial day? It's being with my family. This trip to Indiana was the first time all three of us girls were with both of the parents since last September. When you used to ride to school together every single morning, that is just far too long.











 So basically, what I am trying to say with this long post is; 1: I am so blessed to have great friends and family. and 2: I am so thankful for every single service member who has at one point in their life gave their time to protect our country. and 3: I am so proud to live in a country that we still have people who volunteer to serve their country, even though the risks can be so high.  Pray and be thankful for them! End military rant haha




No comments:

Post a Comment