Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

It's Finally April!

Moving is possible the most stressful thing Matthew and I have ever done. A deployment has nothing on trying to do a military move. First off, the move this month will be our second military move so we decided to change it up a bit and go with a TMO move.  Our version of a TMO move will include movers coming to pack up our entire home, and move it to the new house in Louisiana. Yep, I’m not lifting a finger. Why did we decide on a TMO move this round? We did a “Do It Yourself” military move the first time around, and lets just say we will never do that again. I know, I know….Never say never. But we moved with a weeks notice, with hardly any help besides with the washer and dryer, and it. was. awful.
Google Images

However, things will be a little different this time around. We actually took our TMO class this week and scheduled a day for our movers to come. Eeeeeek! It’s getting so real. The military requires service members to take a class in order to schedule a move. Basically, it is just a do’s and don’ts review for moving. There are different types of moves for different service members. There are different things someone needs to know for changing duty station, retiring, or just moving back to their hometown after the military. The class was actually super helpful and the process of “setting up” the move is really easy. We were even able to pick our own moving company, which I was glad for because my sister had an amazing experience with her moving company so we wanted to use the same people.

I’ll be posting more of our experience with a moving company when the time comes. So, with not having to pack a single box…what will I be doing to prepare? The main thing in any move, military or not, is organization. Some people like a fancy binder with many slots, but this move I was content with a bright folder. I vamped it up a bit with fun letters.


My friend Becky has turned me into a list person. So, that’s another thing that I did. I made a “North Carolina”  todo list. I’ll make another list for Louisiana, which will be so much smaller. I’ve printed off my list and keep it in the folder to highlight when I complete each task. I’m happy to say that I’ve gotten a lot done so far! Here is just part of our  todo list.


The TMO class gave us a lot of information on what they can and cannot pack up in the moving trucks, so I’ll be putting those items aside. So that sheet went in the folder, along with information about how to file claims if something is broken during the move. Also in the folder is our move out cleaning list for our rental. There are some things that need to be purchased like flea spray since we have animals, and we needed proof of purchase so all of our receipts go into the folder too.
This time around we are splurging. Since we are moving into  a house where we won't have to deal with the hassle of a deposit and first months rent type of situation, we are paying for someone to come do a move out clean. I am so thankful for that, especially since we are moving in the middle of a school term. A cleaning service isn't for everyone, but I am certainly not one to say no to someone else cleaning my house! I'll give more information on how that when everything is all said and done.



The beauty about us moving back to Matthew's
hometown is that we already know our address!
So, I ordered these cute little things!
They are change of address postcards with our new address and a fun message from us on the back. It was a fun way of letting loved ones know our new address and for me to get excited rather than anxious about the move!









I can't wait to share more about our moving process with everything! We're just a few short weeks away so I'll be sharing how I'm preparing and the process of all of it. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment