Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Oh Baby!

I know, I know. I am so mean because the title of this post has nothing to do with my having a little bundle of joy. A girl can hope, but a baby isn't in my cards any time soon. But, being that I am near a military base a lot of my friends have children so I vicariously live through them when my baby fever hits. This time around, a good friend of mine recently gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. So as my baby gift I decided to make a crib skirt. I read about how to make a "no sew" crib skirt one on my absolutely favorite blog, younghouselove. I added a few modifications to make it work for me, but it was a great base to start with. I love to sew. However, I am not what I would consider a pro so to make sure I didn't screw it completely up I decided to rock out heat bond. It turned out great! Please excuse the quality of the photos, I only had my cell phone.
First, I gathered my supplies. Before I did anything I measured the sides and ends of the crib. Every crib is different so make sure you measure it yourself and not base it off online measurements. On each side I measured from side to side and from the highest the crib mattress setting until the floor. I also added an inch to each side to include a hem. I got the fabric, heat bond, decorative ribbon and a fabric pencil to make sure everything was 100% accurate. 
I measured an inch for the hem, but did it multiple times along the fabric so it'd be more accurate.
Then, I pulled the fabric up the the lines I made and ironed. This gave me a nice crease so all that I had to do lay the heat bond inside the crease and went over the creased again to activate the stickiness of the heat bond. I did this process to the bottom and both sides of all four pieces of fabric leaving the top without a hem.
After I made the hem on each piece, I started to apply the ribbon that matched the nursery's color scheme. Again, I used my trusty heat bond. I just cut a long piece that matched the long piece of ribbon, lined it up with the bottom, and ironed until it had a strong bond to the fabric.
 I got really into the ribbon process and started to space out. It resulted in me adding ribbon to the wrong side, so I did what any girl would do. I just added ribbon to both sides and bottom of each piece of fabric so it'd all match. It actually turned out even better than I pictured. It's funny how those things work out! 
After bonding the ribbon to the fabric, I took another type of ribbon and connected several pieces to the top of of each piece. I used heat bond for this step as well but since this is what would be connecting the bed skirt to the crib I also hand stitched a few stitches to make sure it was extra secure. 
I removed the mattress from the crib and used the ribbons to attach the crib skirt to the springs.
You want to make sure that the skirt just grazes the floor. But, by using the ribbon you can adjust the height of the crib mattress but just pull the ribbon farther or lower on the springs.
The finished product! 






inspiration: Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in fear of God; 2 corinthians 7:1

No comments:

Post a Comment