Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Losing My Wisdom..

At the beginning of August, I had gone to the dentist. I used to absolutely love the dentist. Nothing made me happier than coming home with sparkling white teeth so clean and perfect after a teeth cleaning. I never had any issues other than needling one filling when I was 16. Now, I'm sure you noticed I said that I used to love the dentist, as in past tense. Well, I went in for what I thought was a normal cleaning and check up, only to leave in my classic Karen tears. It turns out that when I got my first filling, I had actually needed a root canal because my back molar was dying and needed to be pulled. That was just fantastic, especially after I learned that even with my insurance a single implant would be running over 1000 dollars. That is not even counting the crown I would need after the implant was healed. Needless to say I may consider going hillbilly and not getting one.

After looking at X-rays and concluding my tooth needed pulled, we saw that all four of my impacted wisdom teeth needed to be extracted as well. I went to the oral surgeon and he agreed that I would indeed need to remove them. I made an appointment for the beginning of September and just decided to get it out of the way before Matthew came home. I am actually so incredibly blessed. I had numerous people praying for me, and God answered them. I had an unbelievably easy recovery. I didn't have much bleeding or down right pain. The most painful part of recovery was the feeling of my skin stretching from the swelling. I had a crazy amount of swelling, but I'd take that over the pain that some people get. I was actually pretty proud. I received a prescription for Percocet, and was told I could take an entire tablet every 4 hours. I only took 2 and 1/2 throughout a 5 day period taking only a 1/2 tablet at a time. I really don't like the idea of taking anything stronger than ibuprofen so I'm very proud of myself, not to sound full of it. I managed not to get dry sockets too which is what I prayed over and over about. I have heard horror stories of when people get their wisdom teeth removed, and I thank God for an easy recovery.


This was the night after my surgery. I had very minimal swelling after my initial surgery, but I woke up around midnight to find this....

This was the morning after my surgery, needless to say, I felt like a chipmunk.




These pictures were from the beach on Sunday, two days after my surgery. Tricia decided I needed to get out of my house so we went on an adventure with another good friend. I actually felt pretty great other than my swelling. It wasn't the pain that made it hard to eat, it was the fact that my face was so fat I couldn't open my mouth very wide. But, I did manage to eat Olive Garden for lunch! 

Matthew sent me a beautiful order of a dozen pastel color roses along with a lavender spa set since he knows how much I love to take baths. It was so nice knowing that even from half way around the world, he could cheer me up.

I was not only blessed in a sense that I had a smooth recovery, but I also had an amazing support system. My family made sure to ask me for updates and wished me well wishes since they weren't here. My sister was nice enough to take me to my surgery and set me up at home. Tricia brought me my prescriptions along with sprite, which was a life saver. She also visited with me practically all day saturday. Then of course she busted me out of my house along with our friend Marina so I could get some fresh air. I received so many prayers, and I can't thank people enought. It truly made the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment