Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Readddding Rainbow!!!



...you know you're singing that song in your head right now. You're welcome.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely love to read. If I could just read my days away I totally would. I came across this list of books that everyone should read before college. Granite I've been in college for a few years now, I still think that I'll give it a try to read over the next few years. I thought it'd be great to make a tab as well as this post to track my progress. The books I have read, I'll highlight or cross off. Granite, I did read a few of these books in high school, but I want to re-read them for pleasure. I take away different things from the book when I know I'm reading it by choice. I hope this gets everyone inspired to start reading books off the list. As much as I love my "junk food" books, there is just something about the classics that I love. Enjoy! 


•   Things Fall Apart- Chinua Achebe
•   A Death in the Family: A Novel-James Agee
•   Pride and Prejudice-Jane Austen
•   Go Tell It on the Mountain-James Baldwin
•   The Adventures of Augie March-Saul Bellow
•   Jane Eyre-Charlotte Bronte
•   Wuthering Heights-Emily Bronte
•   The Stranger-Albert Camus
•   Death comes from the Arehibishop-Willa Cather
•   The Cherry Orchard-Anton Chekhov
•   The Awakening-Kate Chopin
•   Heart of Darkness-Joseph Conrad
•   The Last of the Mohicans-James Fenimore Cooper
•   The Red Badge of Courage-Stephen Crane
•   Inferno-Dante
•   Don Quixote-Miguel De Cervantes
•   A Tale of Two Cities-Charles Dickens
•   Crime and Punishment-Fyodor Dostoyevsky      
•   Narrative of the Life of FrederickDouglass
•   An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser

•   The Three Musketeers (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Alexandre Dumas

•   Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

•   The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

•   Selected Essays (Penguin Classics) by Ralph Waldo Emerson
•   As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
•   Tom Jones (Wordsworth Classics) by Henry Fielding
•   Madame Bovary (Penguin Classics) by Gustave Flaubert

•   The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford
•   Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

•   LORD OF THE FLIES by WILLIAM GOLDING

•   Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
•   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
•   Catch-22 (1961) by Joseph Heller
•   A Farewell to Arms (Scribner Classics) by Ernest Hemingway
•   Homer-The Iliad
•   The Odyssey by Homer

•   The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (Signet Classics) by Victor Hugo

•   Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

•   A Doll'sHouse by henrik ibsen
•   The portraitof a lady (The Laurel Henry James) by Henry James
•   The Turn of the Screw - Literary Touchstone Classic by Henry James
•   A Portraitof the Artist as a Young Man (Signet Classics) by JamesJoyce
•   The Soundand the Fury by William Faulkner

•   Robinson Crusoe (Modern Library Classics) by Daniel Defoe
•   The GreatGatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
•   Their EyesWere Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
•   Beowulf(Signet Classics) by Anonymous
•   The Canterbury Tales (original-spelling Middle English edition) (Penguin Classics) byGeoffrey Chaucer
•   The Metamorphosis by FranzKafka



•   
The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
•   One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez



•   Bartleby the Scrivener (Hesperus Classics) by Herman Melville



•   Moby-Dick or, The Whale (Penguin Classics) by Herman Melville



•   The Crucible by Arthur Miller



•   A Good Man is Hard to Find (A Women's Press classic) by Flannery O'Connor



•   Beloved by Toni Morrison



•   
Long Day's Journey into Night by Eugene O'Neill



•   Animal Farm by George Orwell



•   Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak



•   The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath



•   Edgar Allen Poe, Selected Tales (Oxford World's Classics) 


•   Swann's Way (Dover Thrift Editions) by Marcel Proust



•   The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon


•   All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque



•   Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand



•   Call It Sleep: A Novel by Henry Roth



•   The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger



•   Hamlet by William Shakespeare



•   Shakespeare - Macbeth by William Shakespeare



•   A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare



•   Romeo and Juliet (Folger Shakespeare Library) by William Shakespeare



•   Pygmalion By George B. Shaw 


•   Frankenstein 


•   Ceremony - Leslie Marmon Silko 


•   One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich: (50th Anniversary Edition) (Signet Classics) by Alexander Solzhenitsyn



•   Antigone by Sophocles



•   Oedipus Rex by Sophocles



•   The Grapes of Wrath (Centennial Edition) by John Steinbeck



•   Treasure Island (Enriched Classics Series) by Robert Louis Stevenson



•   Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe



•   Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift



•   Vanity Fair by William Thackeray



•   Walden by Henry David Thoreau



•   War and Peace (Vintage Classics) by Leo Tolstoy



•   Turgenev, Ivan Sergeyevich-Fathers And Sons
•   The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain



•   
Candide by Voltaire



•   Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel by Kurt Vonnegut



•   The Color Purple by Alice Walker



•   The House of Mirth (Everyman's Library (Cloth)) by Edith Wharton



•   The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty by Eudora Welty
•   Leaves of Grass: The Original 1855 Edition (Thrift Edition) by Walt Whitman



•   The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde



•   The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams


•   To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 


•   To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

•   Babbitt (Dover Thrift Editions) by Sinclair Lewis



•   The Call of the Wild by Jack London
•   The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts by Maxine


Hong Kingston







An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seek knowledge. Proverbs 18:15

No comments:

Post a Comment